Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Why Not Me? by Mindy Kaling

Title: Why Not Me?
Author: Mindy Kaling
Publisher: Crown Archetype
Pages: 223
Rating: 4/5 Stars

I purchased both of Mindy Kaling's books at the same time, thinking that my book club was planning on reading them both for our January book.

I was wrong.

But since I'd already read Mindy's first book and enjoyed it, I decided to give Why Not Me? a try.


Mindy's second venture into memoir land is very similar to her first. The most notable change probably has as much to do with the passage time as it does with the main message of the book - confidence. With one successful book already out and a few more years into a successful career, Mindy's voice is stronger than ever.

Why Not Me? continues with anecdotes about her life. I particularly enjoyed the chapter about her brief stint in a sorority. I basically had the same experience in college - wanting the friendship and camaraderie that came with a sorority, but hating the idea of making my entire life about it. Like Mindy, I eventually found a good excuse to get out of it and I never regretted it. I've never regretted being IN the sorority, either. It was a perfect learning experience.

I also related - painfully - to the chapter about her fast, intense friendship with Greta. Those friendships are so weird and intoxicating and I completely understood exactly what she was going through.

And I'm still super curious about the anti-vaxer pop star who's baby shower Mindy attended.

The chapter about loving sex scenes - which was previewed in my edition of her first book - was also brilliant and hilarious because it was so refreshing. Good for her for enjoying the hell out of being able to make out with hot guys and get paid.

Although, what she dubs the sexiest moment of her life...creeped me out. Read the book if you need details, but yeah...not a situation I would have enjoyed.

If you've read Mindy's first book and enjoyed it you should totally read Why Not Me? Unlike Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? I felt like this one actually had something definitive to say, rather than just wanting to make me laugh. Why Not Me? has a message and a good one. Definitely check it out.

1 comment:

  1. Check my games on https://hdpcgames.com/call-of-duty-wwii-free-download/

    ReplyDelete