Thursday, August 11, 2011

Review: Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane

Title: Shutter Island
Author: Dennis Lehane
Publisher: HarperTorch
Pages: 369
Rating: 4/5 Stars

I'm not sure at what point I started entertaining the idea that this whole investigation was a figment of some patient's imagination. It was a passing thought that I only marginally considered possible. Clearly, I should learn to trust my instincts.

Shutter Island is one of those books that leaves you feeling rather bleek, but there's no way it could have ended any other way and honored the spirit of the story. I'm interested to read more of Lehane's novels, although knowing how Shutter Island ends I'm going to have to work myself up to it and be prepared.

Also not surprised three of his novels have been made into movies thus far. His writing style lends itself beautifully to screenplay/script form. He creates a vivid world, but at the same time keeps the action moving at a quick clip - the very definition of a "gripping page-turner".

No comments:

Post a Comment