Monday, August 1, 2011

Review: Marked by P.C. & Kristin Cast

Title: Marked (House of Night #1)
Author: P.C. & Kristin Cast
Publisher: St. Martin's Griffin
Pages: 306
Rating: 3/5 Stars

My roommate reads these House of Night novels the way I read Twilight - i.e. constantly wondering why I'm wasting my time with such poorly written, yet so-addictive-it's-like-crack YA fiction. She likens this book to bad fanfic and while I agree to a point, I have read too much actually horrific fanfiction to disparrage this book like that.

Anyhoo, now that I'm done slamming it, I will say I enjoyed reading Marked. I liked all the characters and since I already started with the Twilight comparisons, I will add that I found Zoey so much more entertaining than Bella. Mostly because Zoey doesn't suffer from soul crushing self esteem issues. I felt for Zoey in the way family and friends shunned her after the mark appeared (btw, how feaking cool that it's like a tattoo? The descriptions sound incredibly beautiful), but she was resilient enough that the feeling didn't veer over into pity.

Zoey's new friends are a lot of fun, although the Twins are a touch much. As with Twilight, I really enjoy the twists on the vampire/vampyre mythology. The Change taking four years, the arts world being dominated by vamps, the fact that it's like an alternate reality where vamps have been part of the known world forever. Very cool.

Marked was a fun read and I'm looking forward to reading more of the series.

1 comment:

  1. I have read the first ... six? books in this series. Until the end of book 5, I was hooked. But then book 6 got kinda funky and I skimmed the last 7 or so chapters. But of course I kept buying the books hoping they'd get better. I have them all, but I haven't touched the last 2.

    The covers are so damn pretty I needed them to make my set complete. Don't judge.

    ReplyDelete